Monday 30 June 2008

A weekend miscellany

(Click on photos to enlarge)



I thought I would sort out some photos of what was going on yesterday, from wine-making to Car Boot Sale booty.

The big heavy horse shoe I found in the stream by Lime Kiln Field this week. It would have been made by the blacksmith who lived at the bottom of our hill.

The lovely butter mould I got at the Car Boot Sale yesterday for just £3. It is French (has 225 grams written in a lovely Copperplate on the bottom), and I intend to give it a good wash and use it.

This shows how it opens up to release the butter pat.

Plants waiting to be planted - Penstemon, Geum, Phygelus (?), Verbascum, etc.

A double lot of Elderflower Champagne.

My Sloe wine - I'm trying to empty the freezer a little bit. I shall put it in the demijohn this week.

This is an excellent craft book I picked up for £1 at the Car Boot Sale yesterday. It has information about hundreds of crafts - sufficient to get you started anyway. It might be way out of date on the designs, but the practical side is still relevent.

Here's the excellent book I bought at the Centre for Alternative Technology on Friday. I am looking forward to trying out some of the recipes and techniques.

4 comments:

MrsL said...

Nice butter mould, BB, that's lovely for only 3.00. Watch where you put the phygelius, it creeps about by underground stolons and pops up all over the place - don't plant it next to a lawn, trust me.........:0

nancy said...

I'm not familiar with the plants you got. Glad mrsl knew about that one. You really had a successful shop, didn't you? The butter mold is awesome.
Nancy

Bovey Belle said...

Hah! It's next to the lawn!!! Ah well, I can dig up and put elsewhere. I have a lovely coral one I bought a few years back and that has wandered too.

Nancy - I "struck lucky" as a friend of mine would say. I love the mould and can't wait to use it.

Leanne said...

gorgeous butter-mold jennie!

Leanne x