Thursday 22 January 2009

Update on Itsy

On Tuesday my husband and I went down to Pembrokeshire to see how Itsy had settled in. She has been there since early November and is now part of the herd, though there is a definite pecking order, with Pippin as Boss. I thought she would remember me, but her new life is far more important, and I did create complete herd anarchy by taking down some carrots for them, so there were ponies jostling each other for grub. She was very relaxed, and isn't bottom of the pecking order any more as she was here. She considers herself above Maisie, the rising 3 Exmoor filly, but when Maisie goes back home, I assume she may be below Bullseye then.

Maggie and Brian have a far better set-up on their smallholding than we ever had here, as they have fields to use and fields to rest, and drier better-drained land than us (our top field became an absolute quagmire each winter as it drained to the bottom). The ponies have a more natural lifestyle as they are currently on 8 acres, and can move around in a bigger grazing pattern than they had here, mimicking how they would act in the wild, where they would have had unlimited grazing.



Stay right THERE . . .

A carrot for Itsy, with Pippin looking hopeful.


Maisie.

Pippin re-establishing the pecking order after Itsy and Maisie had been having a kicking match!

Itsy finding some nettle roots, which are good for cooling the blood . . .

Bullseye who was a rescue pony.



They are brought in when the weather is foul, and had been in the night before. Itsy was in her "pyjamas" - in other words, had a stable rug on to keep her cosy whilst her turnout rugs were drying. It was a pretty cold day but we missed the brief hail shower I am glad to say. I should think the stable rug went straight into the washing machine as she decided she would have a good roll . . .




It was so good to see her so happy and well cared for, and clearly adored by two little girls . . .

4 comments:

Leanne said...

its lovely isnt it? a tru happy ending... :-)

Leanne x

Anonymous said...

I just love Pembrokeshire - my sister lives down there and I made a complete journal when last visiting (had quite a few of my 'poetry moments', too. Thankyou for visiting my blog; I've left you a welcome on the 'label observations' posting. Ann.

Maggie Christie said...

It was lovely to see you both (and don't apologise for the Obama speech - he's banging on an open door here...). Thanks too for the delicious jams and the cowslip seedlings. (You don't just spoil the ponies!)

Great photographs of our happy little herd. Don't you just lovely the way Itsy elegantly points her toes as she rolls (and inelegantly coats herself in mud!) And I may point at her (with a red-gloved finger) and tell her to do as she's told, but she ignores me of course!

LBP said...

I am so glad Itsy is in a good home. I know it puts your mind a rest.

BTW- I love you dish clothes and quilt.

Blessings

Linda