Thursday 15 January 2009

End of a doggy era . . . RIP Trixie

Trixie


Yesterday was a sad day as the decision had to be taken to have mum's little dog Trixie put to sleep. She came from Llanelli Dog's Home in 1996 when mum's previous dog had to be pts, and she must have been a good 15 this year. She was also blind, doubly incontinent and a little senile. The writing has been on the wall these past few months, but we wanted the girls to be able to say goodbye to her at Christmas. Because of her blindness, she kept walking into furniture and getting tangled up in chairs, and when we came home yesterday having viewed an auction and decided not to stay, and found her so tangled in a chair we thought we would have to saw the stretchers off, we knew that the end had come. Thank God we didn't stay all day at the auction . . . As it was, she was so distressed and her quality of life was very poor, although she still enjoyed her food.

She was my mum's contact with the outside world, because she soon realized mum was deaf and couldn't hear what Trixie could pick up, so she would bark if there was anyone at the door or going past outside her cottage. She was a gallant, faithful and loyal little dog, and my mum's constant companion. Now she is with her again I am sure.

I have had dogs for the past 40 years, but my husband and I took the decision last year that there would be no more, so Trixie was the last. The house is very empty without her.

5 comments:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

My heart goes out to you. But I understand your decision. A hard one, but so necessary when a pet's quality of life has deteriorated. We don't want them to suffer.

Wishing I could give you a gentle hug,
Aunt Amelia

Anonymous said...

So sorry for you guys.. It's so hard when we have to say goodbye to our furry family members.. every time we have to see one go I sware I'll never have another one but then hub will find some poor thing that needs love and a home and brings it to me and I can't refuse it.

Goosey said...

That's a sad tale but best for Trixie. A really hard decision to take and one that I always dread. Every time I think "no more dogs" but I would miss my big black hairy companion on my walks and he's lying on the floor next to me now as I am on the PC.
Take care and well done for doing the right thing by Trixie.

Morning's Minion said...

Our 10 year old Border Collie breathed his last on Christmas eve morning. His decline was swift, and his sudden passing not expected. We think that he had only one uncomfortable day before his death as he behaved a bit oddly.
We think no more dogs--there are the cats and the horses.
Still, out of the corner of my eye I sometimes think I see him in his favorite spots. It will take time to realize that his space is empty.

Rob said...

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog, it must have been a hard thing to do. It must seem strange not having one around after all those years of living with a dog. They can be a tie yet on the other hand such great company. Bob.