Tuesday 25 November 2008

Who left the map behind?

One of these two photos shows snow on Black Mountain, but you'll have to double click to find out which is best! Taken from the top of our hill.




I was reading one of Trevor Fishlock's "Wildtracks" books, which accompanied his popular tv series of walks in Wales. He mentioned a walk around the Llansteffan area, which is our local beach, and so my husband and I decided we would take a drive and see if we could find the church he mentioned, which had some very unusual gravestones and connections with the Pilgrim's route to St Davids. However, Someone (who shall remain nameless) left the 1:50000 scale map at home and so we couldn't go looking for it properly, though we got a rough lie of the land and now we've checked, know exactly where to find it next time. In fact, I shall put the map in the car right away and save my blushes . . .

Instead, we dropped back into Llansteffan and visited the church there, but unfortunately that was locked, and I had to make do with a few photos of headstones! For once, we didn't climb up to the Castle, which has a fabulous site on a hill overlooking the estuary and facing up to the headland and the sea beyond Ferryside.

Driving home up the Towy Valley, Black Mountain was white with snow and it is definitely colder out today. We are still gritting our teeth and not having the central heating on till late afternoon, but it is not very enjoyable. Still, needs must . . .


When we got a bit lost we ended up at Wharley. View across to Tenby in the far distance, and slightly nearer, the Laugharne peninsula.


The edge of the village nearly marked on an old millstone.

Looking over the village and the Towy estuary, with Ferryside on the far shore.


Llansteffan Church.


A sad reminder of the maritime history of this part of the coast.

A very somber grave . . .

4 comments:

x said...

Wow! That is so pretty! I wish I could go there!
JSD

visit me: www.jordannasage.blogspot.com

sukipoet said...

Lovely landscape. The last grave? I have never seen a gravesite like that as if the coffin were outlined above ground. No heat till afternoon? You are a hardy soul. That Kim isn't kim of Creating Space is it? Be well, Suki PS I linked to yr blog on my post about Clootie Wells.

Cheryl said...

What a stunning part of the country you live in.....beautiful photographs......

nita x said...

lovely pictures again jennie :o)

ps have left a couple of awards for you on my blog :o)