Monday 11 February 2008

A touch of Spring.

We have had 3 lovely days of wall to wall sunshine in a row, and it is WONDERFUL. I have spent as much time outside as possible to make the most of it. Rumour has it, I may even have been working in the garden too! The moment Christmas is over, I am always looking for the first signs of spring - birch catkins, the silver pussy willow "paws", snowdrops, the first primrose, first celendine, Dog's Mercury in flower and of course, early crocuses and daffodils. I think I can tick the boxes of all those now.

Here are some Alexanders flowering in January, when we went to Kidwelly recently.



Nearby were some Butterburs flowering. They get their name as their large leaves used to be used to wrap butter in.


Near the castle, I found a Primrose in flower, in a sheltered spot.


Here is the first unfurled leaf, from our walk at Llanstephan Castle recently. I think it's a Sycamore.

2 comments:

LBP said...

You live in such a beautiful area! The photos are just lovely. I too start looking for spring as soon as Christmas is over! This weekend as I was wandering and dreaming in my gardens I saw just a tiny little peek of green starting to show through where the tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils are planted. Spring can't be too far behind!
Blessings

Linda

Kelli said...

Thank you so much for sharing the lovely flowers with us! I've never seen a wild primrose before!
Hugs,
Kelli