Friday 18 January 2008

The turning of the year . . .


This is one of my favourite local photographs. I only have a cheapish digital camera, but sometimes it surprises me with the way it captures the light. This picture reminds me of a lovely day spent walking, one Saturday around early February last year.

The first snowdrops are starting to flower again now. Not as profusely as this bank, at Nant Gwilw, but give them another two or three weeks and it will really start to feel like spring is emerging and giving us all hope in the depths of winter.

Nant Gwilw, now sadly a ruinous farmhouse and tumbled outbuildings on the lane to Brechfa, was once famed for a particular wild flower, a lavender coloured iris which was taken to America, and named after the place it was found. Sadly, last year the entire area around the farmhouse and outbuildings was cleared so if the iris still survived, it would only now be along the banks of the little stream. Here is a link which tells you more about this story:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wfha2000/walespic/030222-5.htm

I know of no battle in this area either, but I shall certainly look for the iris and hope it has survived.

6 comments:

Tam said...

Hey mum, its nice to see whats going on in wales when im not there :)
xxx

Bovey Belle said...

Hah! I leave out all the exciting bits Tam!

nancy said...

So. You two have an additional way of keeping track of one another. Lovely photo and story. I haven't read the kitty story yet, but wanted to give you the address where I saw the Welsh china and photos. Here it is. It was a Show and Tell Friday offering.
http://thechildspaper.blogspot.com/
Nancy

Unknown said...

thank you for stopping by and giving me that info. The cups are wonderful and interesting. I would absolutly wear the national costume with the hat and all. I adore the look !!! Crazy?? maybe.If you find out anything more let me know. it is very interesting. Blessings to you and thanks again for taking your time out to give me the info. much appericiated !!! mica

Bovey Belle said...

Thanks Nancy - lovely little cups. I've not seen any like that here in Wales! I left a message on her website anyway, and a note to you on the forum.

Bovey Belle said...

Oh and you've found me too Mica! I hope you will pop by now and again and see what other bits of information I have squirrelled away has found its way to the blog.